Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Once Upon a Time when I was a Child




Once upon a time I was a child…….

I don’t have any specific memories about reading in school.  I remember the three traditional reading groups and the basal readers.  I also remember completing the different levels of the SRA’s.  I loved school and I love to read.  When I was young I was always visited my local library.  My favorite series were the Little House on the Prairie books and Anne of Green Gables.  As I got older, I enjoyed the Judy Boom series.  In high school, some of my favorite books were To Kill a Mockingbird, Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice.  I continue to love reading as an adult and wish I had more time for reading for pleasure.  

As a teacher, I feel a well-stocked classroom library filled with a variety of books is one way that a teacher can help students become proficient readers and foster their love of reading.  I believe it is important to have books on a various reading levels, as well as reading materials for all content areas.  I organize the books into Rubbermaid dishpans and label them with large index cards.  Some of the books are grouped by author and other books by reading levels.  I have containers for content areas and other for subject areas such as, American Revolution and Civil War. I also make sure to include books that reflect my students cultures and interests.  My library continues to grow each year and I am just as excited as my students when the Scholastic Book Order arrives at our classroom.  I believe it is important to give students time to read books of their choice.  One of my favorite things to do in class is to read aloud to my students.  I enjoy watching their expressions as I read in different voices and “ham it up”.  It is my hope that all of my students develop a love for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog, Desiree! I liked how you were able to relate your reading experiences to your own classroom library now. I find the title and pictures interesting to go along with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to see that we both enjoyed similar books as children. I like how you organize your classroom library. Cool blog title!

    ReplyDelete